[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] The Big Bump checklist

Diego Elio Pettenò flameeyes
Tue Feb 22 17:24:24 CET 2011

Il giorno mar, 22/02/2011 alle 17.08 +0100, Stefano Sabatini ha scritto:

> 3) the old API is dropped -> API/ABI break

Sorry Stefano, but I think we're really talking about different things
here, you cannot assimilate "API/ABI break" in a single statement, the
two are very different things.

So let me rephrase a moment what IMHO should be the situation:

 - whatever was deprecated when 0.6 was released gets dropped, stuff
will break but it was given enough time to adapt (API and ABI break);
 - the previously un-prefixed symbols are dropped/hidden from the
libraries (ABI break);
 - a set of compatibility inline wrappers for the old _API_ (including
unprefixed API) gets added to the installed headers, perhaps
conditional, so that software written against non-deprecated API 0.6
won't break during build.

At this point, the old interfaces are clearly marked as deprecated
during 0.7 lifetime and can be dropped in 0.8, and we don't have the
overhead caused by keeping all unprefixed symbols.

--
Diego Elio Petten? ? Flameeyes
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/