[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] The Big Bump checklist

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Tue Feb 22 14:41:26 CET 2011

On date Tuesday 2011-02-22 08:21:44 -0500, Ronald S. Bultje encoded:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 7:44 AM, Diego Elio Petten? <flameeyes at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Il giorno mar, 22/02/2011 alle 11.04 +0100, Stefano Sabatini ha scritto:
> >>
> >> As for the *when*, I suppose the best timing is *just after* release
> >> for minimizing the impact on users.
> >
> > Uhm, you do know that this means that people relying on the release will
> > find themselves using an ABI that has already been discarded?
> >
> > With my distro hat on, the bump should be done *before* the release,
> > definitely not after.

There are not only the distros to consider, but also applications
which rely on the old API and which will upgrade only for "official"
releases. And considering the state of Debian, distro packages tend to
be very outdated, dropping the old API means that a lot of packages
will have to depend on the previous packaged release.

Releasing and dropping the deprecated API just afterhand, and give
another year for application developers to catch up with the new API
seems a much better plan to me, especially considering how disruptive
the bump will be given the delay from the previous one.

--
FFmpeg = Fantastic & Fundamentalist Meaningful Portable Efficient Game