[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] The Big Bump checklist

Anton Khirnov anton
Tue Feb 22 11:39:58 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:09:28AM +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:20:35 (CET), Anton Khirnov wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > what remains to be done until we can do the big bump?
> >
> > A preliminary list is:
> >
> > * all public symbols must be properly av* prefixed
> >     - lavf: avformat.h is almost done, what remains are some ffm_*
> >       ffserver hacks. What to do with them? If it doesn't make sense for
> >       them to be public API and ffserver absolutely needs them, then it
> >       might be better for ffserver to just #include "internal.h" than to
> >       keep such things in a public header.
>
> if its not public, then this doesn't qualify as blocker for the bump to
> me, IMO
>
> >     - lavfi is probably fine (Stefano, can you comment?)
> >     - lavc/lavu - volunteers welcome
> >     - sws?
>
> Oh, so we want to include sws and avutil in the bump as well?

If there are deprecated things to remove, then yes, why not.

> > * remove interlib ff_* dependencies (Flameeyes, could you please send an
> >   updated list?)
> > * deprecate codec-specific options in AVCodecContext in favor of
> >   corresponding private AVOptions -- volunteers?
> > * repaint libavutil in black with purple stripes
> > * anything else?
>
> is the above really blocking the bump?

Strictly speaking nothing is blocking the bump -- since it'll only
remove the stuff that's been deprecated for some time, we could do it
right now. But i'd like to sort things out if not before the bump, then
certainly before the release.

--
Anton Khirnov