[FFmpeg-devel] About guess_correct_pts / AVFrame.best_effort_timestamp

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Fri Feb 18 19:39:35 CET 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 07:05:30PM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> On 02/18/2011 06:31 PM, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:23:24PM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> >> I tried to explain my reasoning, do you find something that wrong with it?
> >
> > I do not remember what you argued but everything I heard ranges from
> > "complete nonsense" to "I don't see that happening any time soon and
> > I doubt it won't work worse".
> > The issue with doing it in libavformat is that you need to have
> > AVParsers that can do both pts->dts and dts->pts fillup.
> > This is a good bit of code, and for dts->pts we at best have something
> > we can reuse in some encoders, but generally we really don't.
> > It also means running parsers, parsing headers and stuff twice when
> > decoding, and running AVParsers for basically any and all formats, even
> > mkv and mov that currently do not need it.
>
> Let me reinstate:
>
> - make containers that couldn't be trusted use parsers. (using caps to
> trigger it? )

I described the bunch of issues that comes with that, in addition to
a probably huge implementation effort with possibly no real-world
improvement to show for it.

> - move all the guessing/heuristic code in a single file, possibly in
> avformat, and make those functions public.

Putting it in avformat depends on above I think.

> - use the function in ffmpeg/ffplay/ffserver/examples

Otherwise that sounds just like ordinary refactoring work, if there's
multiple places in our code where we can use it to our advantage
this is pure bikeshed-teritory (though a bit of bitshed before making
it public isn't a bad idea).
I don't think there was any particular resistance to those last two
in themselves, but with them depending on the "questionable"/
"insane-effort-for-no-gain-and maybe-not-even-working" part...