[FFmpeg-devel] About guess_correct_pts / AVFrame.best_effort_timestamp

Alexander Strange astrange
Fri Feb 18 12:08:40 CET 2011

On Feb 18, 2011, at 5:53 AM, Peter Ross wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 12:13:31PM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> Peter Ross <pross at xvid.org> writes:

>>> MPEG-4 encodes timebase and PTS within the VOL and VOP headers
>>> respectively. The PTS information is used by the decoder to calculate
>>> B-frame motion vectors. Its integral to the codec. You can find more
>>> information in ISO/IEC 14496-2; search for 'vop_time' and 'time_base'.
>>
>> Those are timecodes, not PTS.  They provide a temporal reference for
>> direct mode blocks in B-frames, but they have no relation to PTS used
>> for presentation timing.
>
> If the container format provides no DTS or PTS, as is the case with a raw
> MPEG-4 Visual stream, then why shouldn't FFmpeg use of this information?
> That's what FFmpeg does right now!

Xvid and x264 do set FPS properly in the codec headers. It's safe to use that to play raw streams.
I wouldn't use it as a fallback, because if the file is meant to be VFR the codec information will be useless.

Current behavior: for .h264 r_frame_rate is set, but packet pts/dts isn't, and ffplay doesn't use FPS for timing.