[FFmpeg-devel] About guess_correct_pts / AVFrame.best_effort_timestamp

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev
Thu Feb 17 20:36:16 CET 2011

On 2/17/11, Ronald S. Bultje <rsbultje at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I originally wanted to respond more elaborately, but I'm not longer
> motivated to do so.
>
> The timestamps in FFmpeg are a mess. I'll some day look into fixing them.

Start today or that day may never come.

I do agree that pts handling could be done better, after all MPlayer
have much less problems with its own demuxers than using lavf and
correct-pts.

On the other hand the topic is quite huge, requires detailed knowledge
of all file formats and their idea of timestamp and on top of that it
would probably involve finishing the parsers for all known codecs.

I'm happy you volunteered for the task.
You can do it.