[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] Equality and leader team

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Tue Feb 15 17:33:50 CET 2011

On date Tuesday 2011-02-15 17:01:05 +0100, Luca Barbato encoded:
> On 02/15/2011 04:25 PM, Tobias Bindhammer wrote:
> > Out of a simple reason, this way we could start from scratch and unify
> > all developers again and then build a new ruling structure that is based
> > on proper voting. If it ends up to be the same team of 7 and same new
> > rules, i am fine with it, but i'd love to see alls this chaos to cease.
> > So please push the reset button :-) This also applies to personal
> > disliked and insults. I don't think any of the inflicted people is and
> > was acting in a bad manner, so it should be easy to restart and pick up
> > the new chance, right?
>
> One of the problems with this "vote" is that "Yes" does not have a
> really defined or agreed effect.
>
> So I'm quite sure that your "Yes let's try to go back and find an
> agreement" isn't the same Yes as "remove all the signees from the project".

"Give committership and decision power back to all the developers" !=
"remove all the signees from the project" and I wouldn't have voted
yes to that.

And you can add other options. For example I would vote for "defining
clearly the rules for committership, and a decision system for
deciding which changes go in and go out in case of conflicts", while
now the whole process is almost completely left to the arbitrary
"interpretation" of the committers.

> What is the system you'd like?

I have no problem with a limited numbers of "committers" which has the
final decision in case of conflict, but you must at least define how
they are elected. If the new "maintainers" don't want to discuss this
and allow the project to be governed democratically you can count me
out of the project.
--
FFmpeg = Freak and Formidable MultiPurpose Elastic Generator