[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] mailing-list etiquette

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Feb 7 23:01:38 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 10:44:41PM +0100, Benjamin Larsson wrote:
> Hi, we've had no rules/guidelines for the FF* mailing-lists. I suggest
> we add this:
>
> * Personal insults can result in unsubscribe/moderation/ban.
> * Disruption of service can result in unsubscribe/moderation/ban.
>
> I will send a patch adding this to the homepage in a few days.

Iam against censorship in the current situation, we have no inpartial people
to make the decission on what is an insult and what not. This has a very high
potential of abuse under the current administration.

But if this is implemented against my objection then i have the following
comments:
* People are warned first and only repeat offenders are unsubscribed and only
  if this doesnt help moderation is considered.
* Developers are excluded from being unsubscribed/..., we need them to move forward
  even if they are occasionally rude in a exceptional situation and the current
  is exceptional.
* All unsubscribes, moderation and bans are publically announced and publically
  justified with public statement of who and why is requesting it.
* The person being unsubscribed/... is given a chance to defend himself

I hate to see young programmers poisoned by the kind of thinking
Ulrich Drepper puts forward since it is simply too narrow -- Roman Shaposhnik