[FFmpeg-devel] Compromise

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Sat Feb 5 04:13:44 CET 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Baptiste Coudurier
<baptiste.coudurier at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/04/2011 03:08 PM, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
>>
>> Reimar& ?Baptiste: can certainly be discussed, I'm in favour of it
>> under certain conditions.
>
> Can you please clarify ?

Clarify what the conditions are? (1) I'd like to do this slowly, no
new 100 committers in the next year, or even 10. (2) I'd like you in,
but I'd like the general direction that we've "couped" this project
into to not change too much, for the immediate future. We have
problems and these need fixing. Anyway, I can see how this sentence
will lead to an enormous trollwar, so let me just summarize as
follows: (3) we all have ideas, that's great; I think we need to focus
on getting back to FFmpeg development before anything else. Actions
speak louder than words. If you agree with that and will help work
towards that common goal that I'm sure we all share, then you're
welcome in my eyes.

And please share the review burden, many patches still remain
unreviewed, you know the subject areas of some of these patches,
please help.

Same for Reimar.

> If you do not agree but a maintainer agrees with the patch, the patch _must_
> go in whether you agree or not. This is why, IMHO you should not feel
> responsible for the patches you apply.

In general that's what I do, I let you decide. If I have an opinion, I
will express it. That's always how it's been and that's still how it
should be.

What happens if we disagree? I hope that we can come to a consensus.
Plus of course all the usual, what if I break the build? Etc., but
that's obvious. Yes I'm purposefully not going into the "what if we
can't come to a consensus", because I don't want to start another
bitchfight already.

Ronald