[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] The Big Bump

Anton Khirnov anton
Fri Feb 4 13:53:45 CET 2011

On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 09:36:06AM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Stefano Sabatini <stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it> writes:

> >> This sounds pretty reasonable to me.
> >>
> >> As already mentioned, this is an excellent occasion for revisiting
> >> Stefanos error code concern in avutil and the (potential?) avcore/avutil
> >> merge, which both obviously are better done before bumping.
> >
> > BTW what's the best timing for doing the changes?
> >
> > I believed that deep changes are better done just *after* release,
> > indeed I can imagine that many users just upgrade for the release:
> >
> > - Hey, these guys finally released a new FFmpeg, let's try it!
> >
> > - Ouch, it breaks a lot of stuff, better to keep the ol' good FFmpeg,
> >   I don't have time to fix it now.
>
> On the other hand, new releases are expected to bring new stuff.
>
> > vs.
> > - Well, they deprecated a lot of stuff and I'll have to cleanup later,
> >   but it is already compiling *now*!
>
> We could at least remove whatever was deprecated at the time of the
> last release.  That's a long list already.

I think $next release should throw out the stuff that's already
deprecated, deprecate whatever we want to remove soon and isn't
deprecated yet. (and if possible, it should contain -mt :) )

The release notes should also state that after a short transitional
period (0.5-0.75 y?) we'll do another bump and another release.

--
Anton Khirnov