[FFmpeg-devel] Compromise

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Feb 4 13:39:34 CET 2011

On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 08:02:48AM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> On 02/04/2011 01:56 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Latest discussion of our compromis on publically logged #ffmpeg-devel without
> > comment
>
> Thanks for restating it.
>
> > <michaelni> root abused their power to allow this without public discussion and vote
> > <mru> oh but there was
> > <mru> in october there was a vote
> > <mru> the outcome was that you got to stay under certain conditions
> > <mru> you failed to live up to those conditions
> > <mru> these are now the consequences
> > <iive> mru: you can't count?
> > <mru> deal with it
> > <michaelni> i did not fail the conditions
> > <mru> iive: I can count to 5 and then kickban you
> > <mru> michaelni: I can see this is pointless to discuss further
> > <michaelni> besides there was a majority that unconditionally wanted to keep me
> > <mru> I will not reply again
> > <michaelni> as you wish
> > <iive> mru: what would you wish michael to do, in order to accept reconciliation?
>
> In my opinion all this "compromise" with you, Michael, is completely
> void since basically you want your way and the whole change had been to
> avoid you being treated differently.

So you(plural) replaced a community and a leader by 7 select people.
Equality amongth the 7 we will see, equality between the 7 and the rest
surely even a blind can see to not exist.

> The whole "compromise" got
> discussed for nights with you not moving from your position and with me
> and the others feeling completely depressed.

Ive tried to discuss but i failed to find people willing to discuss
with me. Ben discussed with me about 1 hour per day for 3 or so days, thats
the maximum amount of time he could squeeze out of his tight shedule, The
end result was that he said ive to reconcile with mans for anything to happen
and that he will continue to try to talk with people, I sent
several emails to various people with litlle luck and an attempt to talk with
ronald got nowhere, he just never awnsered my question:
"so what do you suggest we do to resolve this mess?"
Then there was 1 single discussion on the evil_overlord channel which felt like
1 hour of continous accusations.

I give full permission for people to post all this discussions unabbreviated
here in public

> Regarding all the people that got surprised by the sudden (oh, well took
> months, yet appeared suddenly) decision of that group of developers to
> go to radical changes here few points:
>
> - Well, as Mans stated, the "election" outcome could be read already as
> a demotion

as stated >50% where unconditionally in favor of me as leader if i didnt
miscount and the conditions have never been broken by me that the others
had so its really >90% in favor of me as leader.
If you think i broke some condition that people asked for please show which
and where and lets see if it stands up to public scruntiny

> - Michael list of demands for the root seemed insulting to me and the
> result of them had been having the risk to have all the services shut
> down by the lack of volunteers and infrastructure (guess what, most of
> our infrastructure isn't paid by the foundation but kindly provided by
> Koth, me, mru and others over the years)

i have offers from a professional admin to provide full and free infrastructure
for ffmpeg. So i can gurantee that this is available without a single one of
the 7. And iam willing to pay from my own money and use my own time where
needed

I hate to see young programmers poisoned by the kind of thinking
Ulrich Drepper puts forward since it is simply too narrow -- Roman Shaposhnik