[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] About committership

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Wed Feb 2 16:17:35 CET 2011

On date Wednesday 2011-02-02 09:09:06 -0500, Ronald S. Bultje encoded:
> Hi,
>
> let's not make this a terribly long thread, and therefore focus on
> your core point only:
>
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 6:10 AM, Stefano Sabatini
> <stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it> wrote:
> > And finally my proposal: to review the committership mechanism, I
> > propose to restore the previous model, to give back commit rights to
> > all the developers and enforce *via policy* some of the new rules, for
> > example to require the approvation of non-controversial patches from
> > at least another developer with expertise in the area. The queueing
> > mechanism looks *good* and may be extended to all the developers.
>
> What do you want to achieve by doing this?
> - are we not committing your patches fast enough?
> - do you feel like you lost control over your subsystem?
> - do you feel like we bully you or veto your patches?
> - something else?

I don't want to beg for getting my patches applied, I want to be able
to commit them myself, provided that the patches have been reviewed
and approved by the maintainers of the affected areas, and do the
commit work myself, without requiring the intervention of others.

If this can't be achieved for some reason, that's fine, provided that
there is a discussion about it and is clear which are the rules
which govern the project to which I'm devolving my time and my work.

--
FFmpeg = Fostering and Foolish Mythic Practical Enlightened Governor