[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Getting options from the file name

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Dec 29 17:29:17 CET 2011

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 04:51:12PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 03:26:19PM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> > My idea would be to use some syntax to encode options directly into the
> > input URL. For example:
> >
> > amovie=ffopt\:some_file.raw?f=s16le&channels=2&sample_rate=48000
> >
> > The code to do that would be rather simple, I have a pretty good idea of how
> > to do it. But I would like to see whether people approve of the idea, and
> > see if they have interesting suggestions about the exact syntax.

Wait, where do you intend to parse this?
If in general I am very sceptical about this, with the load of options
that exist I see a serious chance that this will open exploitable issues
in applications that read playlists from some (non-trustworthy) remote
location and pass those directly in into ffmpeg/libavformat/...
Even if they are of the more thorough kind and do some basic validation
of the URLs they might not catch this new syntax.