[FFmpeg-devel] License Question

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Thu Dec 8 12:48:36 CET 2011

On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 16:53:09 +0800, zongfei zhang wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I've seen some apps like OPlayer (
>http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/oplayer-hd/id373236724?mt=8) sold in Apple
>App Store is using ffmpeg, do they violate the license of ffmpeg? if not,

if they provide ffmpeg source to whomever asks for it then its ok with
us. looks like they just use a copy of svn ffmpeg:
http://olimsoft.wordpress.com/2010/01/15/oplayer-license/
instructions for building an ffmpeg binary for iphone/apple are also
helpful to users.

>I'd like to include ffmpeg in my app too.

the apple store TOS used to have an anti-gpl rule. you might want to
see if thats still the case. not that any of the app authors actually
care about apple tos...

-compn