[FFmpeg-devel] Status of Rhozet's license violation?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Aug 19 11:24:14 CEST 2011

Peter B. <pb <at> das-werkstatt.com> writes:

> >> I wanted to ask if someone knew the current state of "Rhozet's Promedia
> >> Carbon" violating FFmpeg's LGPL?
> >
> > Assuming you are using it, please tell us!
>
> I'm not actually using it, but in my field of work it's mentioned
> quite often as one of the few "professional" transcoding products.
> And if it's using FFmpeg, I'd like to let those people know that Free
> Software *is* professional ;)

If those people just want to know if FFmpeg is used by Rhozet, they have to
search the EULA for FFmpeg (or the installation directory for avcodec.dll or
similar).

If you want to know if they are still violating the LGPL, you have to look at
their EULA: If it does mention FFmpeg and still forbids reverse engineering,
they are not in compliance.

> > Please do not highjack threads, this is considered rude, Carl Eugen
> I'm not aware of hijacking a thread. Where/how did I?

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/131430/focus=134154

Carl Eugen