[FFmpeg-devel] "avconv"

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Sat Aug 13 05:26:08 CEST 2011

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 03:27:17 +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>Hi
>
>the last merge from qatar brought us a cloned ffmpeg.c called by them
>avconv.
>
>should we rename that to ffmpeg2 or ffmpeg0, ffmpeg.org or leave it
>?

their plans are to make it incompatable with ffmpeg (see depreciated
commit). syntax ala -vn -an -sn is gone already. which doesnt make sense
since that is incompatable with ffmpeg and breaks old scripts. if they
were going to cripple ffmpeg why not just continue crippling it and not
make a new file ?

do you want an 'ffmpeg2' that needs its own manual ? might get
confusing. if you merge the aconv incompatable-to-ffmpeg changes to
aconv, you will need a new manual for it. if you dont merge those, then
it will just be a copy of ffmpeg, and then why have aconv copy?

my brain hurts and this is v4 of this email. good luck.

-compn