[FFmpeg-devel] Improve timecode support

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Aug 3 00:03:35 CEST 2011

On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 11:32:34AM +0200, Clément Bœsch wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 01:51:10AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> [...]
> > Does this support keeping timecodes when transcoding?
>
> I'm afraid not, you indeed need to use the -timecode option for the
> output.
>
> > To elaborate a bit on the question
> >
> > With private options holding the timecode, transcoding could become
> > tricky if for example the values where to be interpreted differently
> > for 2 codecs.
> > Iam not asking for transcoding support to be added just if there are
> > any expected obstacles if one wanted to add it and if changes to the
> > design could be made to avoid that.
> >

> You mean if timecode is muxed differently in the formats, it won't be easy
> to use a common way of transmitting the timecode value between source
> demuxer and destination muxer when transcoding?
>
> I guess I completely ignored that part. If we need to transmit customized
> crafted data between the demuxer and the muxer, what can are the different
> ways to achieve that? Should we use the AVPacket side data?

side data is an option but its not really an alternative to this
patchset as it solves a somewhat different problem

> Also, the mpeg encoder might be a specific case; we are mostly dealing
> with formats with the timecode (right now mxf and dv, maybe gxf later),
> but there is the exception of the mpeg encoder, see patch 2).
>
> After a discussion on IRC, it seems there is no obvious way to do that,
> and I can't tell how the API will change in that matter. So basically,
> what do you propose, or what do you prefer right now given the current
> API?

I think unless someone else had a great idea we should go forward with
the existing patchset and apply things after review or timeout

Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated
form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty. -- Plato