[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] stream parsing

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sat Sep 25 22:25:13 CEST 2010

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 09:35:59PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 08:49:52PM +0200, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> > > Well the issue is that the container reports something that doesn't
> > > correlate with the stream contained in the container. It has nothing to
> > > do with midstream channel configuration changes. What you describe is
> > > another kind of possible problem.
> >
> > I am saying that solving this other problem would/should solve this one
> > as well (even if maybe not in the best possible way).
>
> i dont see how, for applications like ffmpeg you mux into a container that
> most likely doesnt support channel changes and needs a channel configuration
> when writing the header. with av_find_stream_info() that works without
> it does not
>
> supporting midstream channel changes require remixing to a constant channel
> configuration, and its surely unreasonable to remix a file by default that
> didnt need it just because the initial configuration was wrong
>
> also theres the issue with consistency to width/height

I guess I'll change my statement it's "almost certainly" not the best way.
If we supported midstream channel changes in a way that would allow
reconfiguring the encoder to follow the channel changes it would happen
to solve this problem though.
With video the problem is very similar, though I agree we there currently
do it the way it was proposed here for audio.