[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-devel-irc] IRC log for 2010-09-17#

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Sep 24 22:35:02 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 10:11:23PM +0200, James Darnley wrote:
> On 24/09/2010, Loren Merritt <lorenm at u.washington.edu> wrote:
> > <J_Darnley> [various stuff about importing filters into x264cli]
> > <pengvado> Why are you importing yadif and hqdn3d rather than linking to
> > libavfilter?
> > <J_Darnley> It'd never be committed. Bikeshed this, cosmetic that.
> > <pengvado> Do you think it would matter if I did the committing and
> > threatened to fork libavfilter if people complain?
>
> In addition to this, my feelings (as both a poor coder and a user) on
> why I didn't just use libavfilter in x264 are that:

>  - it didn't have hqdn3d or yadif when I started (not even patches)

yadif is close to being commited
hqdn3d should be easy, we need more manpower not more forks

>  - when I looked at adding them to libavfilter, I just thought "WTF is this?"

ask here, dont WTF in secret, we like to know about it so we can help

>  - pad and crop have different argument orders, x:y:w:h vs. w:h:x:y

patch that fixes it is on ffmpeg-dev since a short time and already
approved

>  - pad and crop do not take left, top, right and bottom arguments (I
> thought they were supposed to replace the options in ffmpeg)

crop will soon take arbitrary expressions so you could do

crop=w-10:h:0:0
to removed 10 pixels from the right side
but if you think it makes sense iam not opposed to a patch that adds support
to pad and crop to parse a different syntax that is easier for your use case.
I dont know, to me the width and height seem more fundamental than how many
pixels one adds or removes

I wish the Xiph folks would stop pretending they've got something they
do not.  Somehow I fear this will remain a wish. -- M?ns Rullg?rd