[FFmpeg-devel] Moving if(constant expression) to preprocessor?

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Sun Sep 19 10:41:02 CEST 2010

On 09/18/2010 06:00 PM, Axel Holzinger wrote:
> Hi Vlado and all,
>
> Vladimir Pantelic wrote:
>> On 09/18/2010 01:02 PM, Axel Holzinger wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> if compiling FFmpeg code with zero optimisations (even without
> dead
>>> code elimination) there are linker errors (undefined references to
>
>>> functions or structs) that come from constructs like i.e. the
>>> following in libavcodec/allcodecs.c:
>>>
>>> if(CONFIG_##X##_HWACCEL) av_register_hwaccel(&x##_hwaccel); )
>>>
>>> The runtime (lower case) "if" leads to an undefined
>> reference, because
>>> it is evaluated at runtime and not at compile time.
>>>
>>> If dead code eliminitation optimisation is on, this isn't an
> issue,
>>> but with optimisations completely off it is.
>>
>> as far as ffmpeg is concerned, "dead code eliminitation" is a
>> prerequisite to build it, you cannot do without.
>
> Now that's exactly the prerequisite I would like to overcome.
>
> "You cannot" is quite absurd here, isn't it? If at all I think it's a
> matter of We or I don't want.

We don't care, mostly. The only way I see something like that happen is
provide a C-99 buildable custom preprocessor for ffmpeg that let you do
that in a clear and fast way (and has also other nice features that we
might like)

lu

--

Luca Barbato