[FFmpeg-devel] Passing info from a protocol to a demuxer

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Wed Sep 15 18:03:14 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 6:35 AM, Gavin Kinsey <gkinsey at ad-holdings.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm trying to bring some code we have at the company I work for up to a
> standard that is acceptable for inclusion into ffmpeg. ?There are many
> issues with it, but I know how to sort most of them. ?The only one I'm not
> sure of is how to get information from the network protocol handler to the
> demuxer.
>
> The protocol our servers use is basically HTTP with some extra information
> in the headers. ?This extra information includes what format the stream will
> be in. ?Currently the protocol code stores this information in an extra
> variable in URLContext. ?I'd like to replace this with something more
> elegant that doesn't clutter up the general API with our format-specific
> data.
>
> I'm not sure what to replace it with though, is what I want to do feasible?
> ?I've looked a little at AVOption, could that do what I want?

What MS does on their WMS server is to make it part of the stream
extension. So mms://ip:port/dir?ext=.asf sends an ASF stream. Your
server could use HTTP forwards to accomplish the same thing. That way
the client can use already-existing extension-based stream ID methods
if it prefers so, at its own choice.

Ronald