[FFmpeg-devel] skip multiple id3v2 headers

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Sep 13 23:46:29 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 02:23:47PM -0700, David Byron wrote:
> > There really are not that many explanations
> > A. one value is truly wrong and not useable
> > B. (much more likely) there is a bug in the code reading
> >     the tags and it somehow gets confused
> >
> > your patch is only correct for case A but you provide no
> > argument why this unlikely case would be the reason for
> > the problem
>
> See below for what's with any luck a convincing argument.
>
> > or why the one value trusted after the patch is better
> > than the other before the patch.
>
> I didn't mean for this patch to have anything to do with multiple id3v2
> tags.  I've attached two files.  Each has one id3v2 tag.  The only
> differences are the four bytes at offset 0x1887.

I can also modify a file with a hex editor so it fails to be read with any
code i want it to fail with.
what kind of argument is that supposed to be?
i can create a file that works without your patch and fails with your patch
for example if i wanted

The questions are
1. Do such files exist out there
2. if yes, why does our code fail

once we know why it fails we can think about how to fix that.

The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.
-- Aristotle