[FFmpeg-devel] Apple Prores Support

Maxim max_pole
Sun Sep 5 19:28:36 CEST 2010

David Ogden schrieb:
> On 4 September 2010 15:28, compn <tempn at twmi.rr.com> wrote:

>> in

>> this

>> >From what I know, the latter. The guy(s) who was/were REing stopped
>>
>>> because of lack of aforementioned stuff.
>>>
>> i dont see any info on the wiki:
>> http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Apple_ProRes
>>
>> at least mplayer has some support for (binary codec) prores now, so you
>> can use it on linux/windows boxes.
>>
>> -compn
>>

> The problem with using the existing decoder via mplayer is that Apple seems
> to have crippled the performance on Windows machines.

ProRes is based on multi-threading: it allocates as many
encoding/decoding threads as many processors you have. So be sure you
have multiply cores and the multi-threading is active (inside Mplayer)...

> How much cash would be needed to get this done? Maybe I could convince my
> employer to pay? Maybe the people who want this could start a fund? Maybe
> we're only looking at $20 :D In which case I'll pay directly!

I've been working on a support for that codec in FFmpeg for a while. The
biggest problem is that we only have binary codecs but no official
specification. In order to figure out how that codec works we need to
reverse engineer its binary:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_engineering
This is a very time-consuming task that requires to analyze many hundred
kilobytes of code and cannot be done in a week. There are only few
people working on RE of multimedia codecs and those are very busy now.
So the roadblock can be defined as "insufficient manpower"...

Best regards
Maxim