[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Handling 8 < bit depth < 16

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sun Sep 5 11:30:14 CEST 2010

On Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 07:25:12PM -0700, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> Somewhere in here, we have to go from 16 bit to 10 bit, but there's no
> pixel format for these, nor is there a way for libx264.c in ffmpeg to
> tell ffmpeg that it needs 10-bit.

Well, if we can manage, provide an extra API that not only allows selecting
a pixel format but also allows selecting bits_per_raw_sample.
I'm not sure a extra 10-bit pixel format is a good idea, since often just
considering 10 bit == 16 bit would be good enough and a lot faster.
Also since no memory layout change is involved and there's a lot of different
methods you may or may not want to use in that conversion I think it would
be better to do this via libavfilter.
Does libavfilter have a bits_per_raw_sample already in each place where it
uses a pixel format?
Of course for the start it would be possible to just have a filter like e.g.
dither=source_bits:dst_bits.