[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] roots duties and rights

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Oct 12 15:05:54 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 02:05:42PM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 12:42:00 +0200
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
[...]
> > > So, you want someone who is totally unrelated to any project hosted
> > > by mphq and want him still be interested enough to invest a major part
> > > of his free time into the server? What, do you think, will be his motivation
> > > to do the job?
> >
> > My idea was mostly that we could have a single trusted root. someone who has
> > been active in the past and is trusted by all (like you or fabrice) and this
> > person would delegate most work to others so would not have much to do but
> > rather ensure that no abuse of power happens.
>
> Do i understand you correctly, that you expect me to delegate work that
> require root access to people who are not entirely trusted by others?
> That doesn't make sense. Unless of course you'd accept my decision to
> delegate the work to people like Diego and Mans, whom i trust but others
> seem unhappy with.

yes, exactly

> Beside, this "delegate" to others doesn't seem to quite work out, as
> you've seen yourself with incoming.

i know, but i think this was to a large extend a problem with communication

> > > You cannot be serious?!? The right to resign? In a OSS project? WTF?
> > > I have the right to do or not do anything i want. Nobody can take that
> > > away from me. And nobody had to spell that out until now. If i dont like
> > > it, i can even disapear from one second to the next without a word or
> > > anything. Heck, this is a hobby and not slave labor!
> >
> > Iam a technical person and i like mathematics, to me spelling out all rights
> > i could think off is just logic.I had no intent to offend anyone
> > To me there is
> > A. root can resign
> > B. root cannot resign
> > B is clearly unacceptable, so it has to be A
>
> lol
> You might like mathematics, but you are no robot, are you? Please take
> a few minutes to think about how such sentences make other peoples feel.

hmm that reminds me i offended someone in real life recently by saying that
i dont belive everything said was true.
My argumentation about that was that the amount of things said was large
and it was unlikely the person even could have known everything exactly so
its unlikely everything was true. The person somehow interpreted that in the
form of intentional misinformation while i had not meant that at all.
It seems iam not good at communicating with humans

> Otherwise you'll go down the same road as Uoti did.

> > > So, you want to have an SLA? Are you prepared to pay for it?
> > > A simple 5d reaction time, Mo-Fr 9-17 SLA for a single server
> > > costs already well over 10kEUR/y.
> >
> > i said none of that
> > the text just says that root should try. And i can hire someone for 10 euro
> > per year for "try" he just can say then he tried and failed all the time ...
>
> This is why we have three people whe take care of natsuki. In the last
> 5 years there were in total 3 weeks or so, when all of root were hard to
> reach (ie not checking IRC, emails,... every few minutes). Given the
> nature of mphq, i'd say this is more than good enough.

i agree, and as said i think you did and do very well with mphq administration

Breaking DRM is a little like attempting to break through a door even
though the window is wide open and the only thing in the house is a bunch
of things you dont want and which you would get tomorrow for free anyway