[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] roots duties and rights

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Oct 11 18:15:23 CEST 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 11:32:41AM -0400, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 7:23 AM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> > Duties:
> > * Keep the system running smoothly so all "users" can do their work.
> > ?-Keep the system secure so its not hacked
> > ?-Recognize problems early and take preemtpive action, aka a mail to
> > ? the MLs with "we only have 100 mb space left in incoming" for example
> > ?-Replace hardware when it fails, search for possible donations on ML/IRC
> > ? ask the foundation to fund hw where needed.
> > ?-Install security updates quickly
> > ?-Make regular backups and store them off site, keep past backups so
> > ? undetected corruption does not make them useless
> > * Do all the administrative things that normal users dont have the right to
> > ?and that havnt been delegated to volunteers.
> > ?- Create mailinglists that are related to the project when requested by the
> > ? ?project leader
> > ?- Open and Close SVN/GIT accounts if requested by the project leader (root can
> > ? ?not reject such requests)
> > ?- Install software that is requested by project members for their work with
> > ? ?the FOSS projects
> > ?- Open SSH accounts for project members when their FOSS-project related work
> > ? ?needs such account
> > ?- help with forgotten passwords after the user proofes his identity
> > ?- Root shall attempt to work on requests approximately in order and not ignore
> > ? ?requests for months
> > ?- Root shall in case of ambiguity of a request ask instead of guessing.
> > * Have plans in place for total hardware failure (fire / earthquake / ...)
> > * Have plans in place for the system being successfully hacked
> > * Root must not involve itself deeply in any of the hosted projects, that is
> > ?to ensure roots impartiality and avoid conflict of interest
> > ?This conflict of interest exists both in form of making decisions as root
> > ?to favor ones personal preference in a project. As well as participating
> > ?in project internal discussions while implicating ones authority.
> > * Each project shall have its own incoming directory and who has access to
> > ?move and delete files from this directory shall be the project leaders
> > ?decission. Its each projects duty to move files out of there.
> > * Root must have public GPG keys and they must be published where users can
> > ?easily find them. These keys checksums must be available in SVN/GIT of the
> > ?hosted projects so that people who work with the code have means to verify
> > ?roots (and the developers) public GPG keys.
> > * Root must before expiration of the previous SSL key either generate SSL keys
> > ?signed by an upstream CA or put self signed SSL keys signed with their
> > ?gpg key on the webpage and ML
>
> Before I give my opinion I would like the current root team (including
> Mans) and members of our project that have shown significant interest
> to co-root (e.g. Vladimir) to give their opinion on this list of
> [...]

Id also like to repeat that this is just a suggestion that we can change based
on comments from people who would like to be / are root. And that
part of the list is roots ability to delegate any of these duties/rights to
other volunteers, that is people who might be deeply involved in the project
but the root behind such delegations is responsible for their actions

If a bugfix only changes things apparently unrelated to the bug with no
further explanation, that is a good sign that the bugfix is wrong.