[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Add a demuxer directly handling rtp:// URLs by inspecting their content

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Mon Oct 11 08:08:31 CEST 2010

On 10/10/2010 08:17 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
[...]
>>> This is an initial attempt at creating a demuxer that is able to play back
>>> some RTP streams without needing a SDP description of them.
>>
>> I now see a bug on roundup asking for this, but... Is this really a good
>> idea? AFAIK, "rtp://..." URLs are not standardised in any way, and the
>> only standard way to identify an RTP session is an SDP. I think that
>> something like this patch can work in some cases, but will fail in some
>> other cases (I believe there are a lot of them - basically, the only
>> case in which this can work reliably is TS over RTP...) and will end up
>> confusing the users even more...
>
> I do like the idea too, but i see the issue you point at.
> Maybe it could be disabled by default or something?

Well, one (IMHO) reasonable trade-off would be to allow "rtp://" URLs to
work only with MPEG TS in RTP (that is, if a different payload type is
detected read_header() can fail).
In my estimation, this will satisfy 99.9% of the users that try to use
"rtp://" URLs.

				Luca