[FFmpeg-devel] FATE

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Oct 4 05:35:53 CEST 2010

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 04:46:51AM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> On 10/04/2010 04:24 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>> Please elaborate, what part of "mans took the server down intentionally and
>> putted a sarcastic message up" is untrue paranoid thinking?
>
> you forgot to put "his own" in the sentence. That makes the whole
> situation in a different perspective.
>
> The new fate is a pet project of mans, hosted on mans' hardware.
>
> It started since he wanted to scratch some itches he had with old mike's
> one...

of course if mphq where hosted on attilas hardward would that give him the
right to take it down (MLs, SVN,...) with a "oops guys i have a bad day"
message ?

or do you think its ok if source forge or gitourious did that on their
hardware?

The responsible thing to do is to post a message like
"I am leaving this project and will stop running fate as its on my hardware
 as soon as its moved elsewhere or if noone does that then in a week"

Its perfectly fine if a admin is busy or has a bad day or a problem with his
job, familiy or otherwise and is unable to deal with things in that time be
that a day or a month but its IMHO totally unacceptable to intentionally
sabotage/deface project pages like this no matter whos hardware and software
it is.

That said i of course see your point i just think it doesnt justify what he
did  ...
He could just have left it running for a few days for us to put it up
elsewhere and update DNS.

I hate to see young programmers poisoned by the kind of thinking
Ulrich Drepper puts forward since it is simply too narrow -- Roman Shaposhnik