[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] FFmpeg leader

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Sat Oct 2 22:40:12 CEST 2010

Hi Diego,

On 10/2/10 8:05 AM, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 11:12:23PM -0700, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
>> On 10/1/10 11:09 PM, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:

>>> I agree.  Not even Linus commits his patches unquestionably; Michael
>>> should be the same.
>>
>> Well FFmpeg is not like the kernel (where everybody is paid to do the
>> job) nor a major project like git which has many contributors.
>
> FFmpeg is smaller than the kernel, but smaller than git?  I cannot find
> any numbers to support this theory, on the contrary...

Not really, I mean that git is a "major" project that everybody knows
about. I think more people know about git than ffmpeg, I guess they have
more contributors, but maybe I'm wrong about this.

>> I would personnally be really annoyed to send patches to files I
>> maintain. I do however pay really attention to comments made on -cvslog,
>> and I address them. Many people review on -cvslog as well.
>>
>> Given the coverage FFmpeg svn has now thanks to FATE, this is reasonable
>> IMHO, and avoids the burden.
>
> I agree for not too large changes to files you maintain, but if you make
> large changes or API changes, then review and comments will always be
> valuable.  You just sent a patch for MOV autocrop, which is something
> you maintain...

Yes, I tend to follow "principles", I'm glad people fix typos in files I
maintain or fix really obvious mistakes.
I myself fixed the h263 encoder yesterday, and I perfectly fine with
people doing the same in the code I maintain.

Besides, this is not the first time I fix issues like the h263
resolution check directly and I've not received the wrath of Michael nor
anybody. That shows, IMHO, that people are reasonable and understand.

The problem is the bikeshed and being unreasonable about features and
fixes.
The comments on the mov auto-crop once again show it.
We maintainers can hardly code and review at the same time, because we
lack _time_.

Baptiste COUDURIER