[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] FFmpeg leader

Diego Biurrun diego
Sat Oct 2 18:48:39 CEST 2010

It's very difficult to issue criticism at this level without descending
down into personal fights and ill feelings, no matter how constructive
the intention of that criticism.

However, I cannot step back, watch the drama and enjoy the gladiators
killing each other.  I care too much about FFmpeg and also about you
two to let this happen.

So while there is some criticism below that might be interpreted as
scathing I would like to note that I hold no personal grudge, that I
have the best for the project in mind and that I respect both of you
very much both as developers and as friends.

On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 05:55:07PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 05:13:02PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> > > I object to the person subject of the vote choosing the alternatives.
> >
> > I agree this is a problem.
>
> I see your point but while the community should choose the alternatives
> available, it should not be forgotten that this is about humans not technical
> decissions and the community cannot arbitrarily order people around.

Exactly, this is about humans and you are not the only one feeling
mistreated, others share that feeling from the other side.

You do not wish to be ordered around, but neither does Mans nor anybody
else, neither do I.  Right now I feel I'm being ordered to stop serving
the community with mphq administration for reasons I cannot even fathom
and I feel forced to make a choice between you leaving the project or
continuing to rule with an iron fist, exactly the way you like it
without accomodating others.

Notice that I don't think that this is your actual position or that I'm
doing you justice through that characterization, but it was my immediate
emotional reaction to this and it seems worth sharing at this point.

Right now I don't even know what to think, but clearly I want this mess
and this downward spiral to come to an end.

> > Maybe other alternatives need to be explored.  FFmpeg does not need to
> > be lead by one person.  We can have a structure similar to the board
> > of directors that we have for the FFmtech foundation.
>
> I will not participate in such leader-team, as such teams whereever i have seen
> them in technical projects led to disaster. xine comes to mind

The demise of xine is not related to team leadership.  People just had
less and less time and xine worked reasonably well, so no immediate
itches to scratch.

> and your skills in managing projects ive seen in mplayer so the idea of
> you suggesting to change ffmpegs leadership scares me

With all due respect, this feels like a pot having a conversation with
a kettle about a well-known subject.

In regular intervals you end up in conflicts with other developers that
escalate to the point that these people want to leave.  It happened with
Baptiste, it happened with me, now it's Mans.  It's interesting to note
the rank of the people you clash with in the contributor statistics:

http://www.ohloh.net/p/ffmpeg/contributors/

Clearly there is a problem here or at least an opportunity for
improvement.  We need to find a way to work and live together without
this kind of friction.  This will require serious effort on all sides
and by all sides I mean not only the two currently fighting.

> ffmpeg needs a single leader, be that me or someone else.

Why?  I don't necessarily disagree, but you haven't given reasons yet.

> In that sense, as a team leading ffmpeg implies me steping back i guess
> you can continue with this vote and vote for me steping back.

So it's my way or the highway, thanks for confirming.

Diego