[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] FFmpeg leader

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Oct 2 14:45:18 CEST 2010

On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 02:35:05PM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> On 10/02/2010 02:25 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>> This is untrue
>> the assert changes have been discussed a long time ago with noone caring.
>> the per codec parameters too have been discussed and ive explained that
>> i plan to implement them through a priv_avclass in AVCodec and AVOption
>> access to the private context, noone disagreed from what i remember
>> and the swscale api changes have briefly been discussed in the IRC thread
>> that was triggered due to the 10bit dithering trolling. Yes the final
>> implementation was a hair differnt than what was discussed because its
>> simpler as it is now but it all was discussed.
>
> The problem here is that we lost those discussions in the mailing list
> flood. I think probably _most_ of this annoyance would be mitigate if
> those changes would happen on a split branch and then merged on a pull
> request on the mailing list. Same goes for the issue you had with Mans
> commits colliding with your uncommitted work. We have better tools,
> using them _should_ reduce this kind of friction.

nope, i was trying to fix the very same things mans fixed, namely reformating
the code for better readability. no tool in the world would have avoided that
colission and wasted time.
I do take it seriously when i commit something and i do fix issues that are
pointed out to me (unless its bikeshed that goes far too far like the #include)
its annoying if someone complains to me and while i start working then commits
under my fingers that very change without asking, making me waste time

He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know. -- Lao Tsu