[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] FFmpeg leader

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Sat Oct 2 08:12:23 CEST 2010

On 10/1/10 11:09 PM, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Felipe Contreras
> <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Jason Garrett-Glaser
>> <darkshikari at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> And since your maintainership covers all of ffmpeg, that gives you the
>>> right to change whatever you want without asking anyone.
>>>
>>> How about no.
>>
>> In some projects, like git.git, the maintainer sends his patches to
>> the mailing list like everybody else. If nobody shouts, he pushes. I
>> believe this is the most sensible approach; the maintainer should not
>> be considered a flawless god whose opinion is above everybody else,
>> and thus his patches should not be considered error free, nor
>> unquestionable.
>
> I agree.  Not even Linus commits his patches unquestionably; Michael
> should be the same.

Well FFmpeg is not like the kernel (where everybody is paid to do the
job) nor a major project like git which has many contributors.

I would personnally be really annoyed to send patches to files I
maintain. I do however pay really attention to comments made on -cvslog,
and I address them. Many people review on -cvslog as well.

Given the coverage FFmpeg svn has now thanks to FATE, this is reasonable
IMHO, and avoids the burden.

--
Baptiste COUDURIER