[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] libmpcodecs libavfilter wrapper?

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Thu Nov 25 20:20:06 CET 2010

On 11/25/2010 05:03 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> And i told already that such wraper needs to be written by someone who has
> more experience with porting code between projects. For such person it should
> not be much pain to do it.
> You surely will have to agree that mplayer is able to use the filters from
> libmpcodecs.
> Now you can surely take vf_*.c from libmpcodecs and check that into
> libavfilter/libmpcodecs
> and then write the surrounding code to translate libavfilter API to libmpcodecs
> API.
> You dont want to implement it that way maybe, i dont know but iam not aware of
> any problem in this approuch

There isn't a problem per-se beside the fact mplayer codebase is quite
scattered and the faster way to achieve a wrapper might be fix the
missing function/struct one by one through the gcc output...

> Also ill wager a bet that arpi could implement a wraper in less than a day
> arpi has very extensive experience with porting code between projects and he
> wrote large parts of libmpcodecs.

24h? Probably, maybe 30h and I guess we'd have some restriction in its
usage.

> That didnt work out as noone was willing to do it so now after 3 years
> we are better in some ways (arbitrary filter graphs) than libmpcodecs and
> still worse in others (like actual number of supported filters)

Well now we can improve adding filters in the slower way =).

That said _probably_ would be faster having libmp using the avfilters
and compare that way.

lu

--

Luca Barbato