[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC][POLICY] Immediately use the new API in ffmpeg

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Sun Nov 21 13:27:56 CET 2010

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 11:31 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> i agree that people should not add new code using old apis.Requiring a strict
> "you must update all use of an old API" would add additional burden on the very
> few that work on improving the APIs
> Its a goal we should aim toward but the time and motivation each person has
> available should dictate in the end how far things are converted.
> Half finished code should not rot in private repos for years if it does no
> harm if commited and allows others to finish it.

Why not write SoC qualification tasks (depending on difficulty), or
add them to the wiki small task list? Right now nobody knows how many
uses we have of each old deprecated API.

Ronald