[FFmpeg-devel] [GIT] ready by the weekend

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Wed Nov 17 19:13:27 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Rafa?l Carr? <rafael.carre at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 09:58:12 -0800
> Jason Garrett-Glaser <darkshikari at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Reimar D?ffinger
>> <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> > how to handle bad commit messages (and different levels of
>> > bad, ranging from spelling mistakes over non-understandable
>> > to wrong patch-by attribution).
>>
>> git commit -a --amend
>> git push -f
>
> You forgot to mention that this should only be used in the short time
> interval after you realize your error, and before anyone pulls from the
> tree.
>
> Else those who did pull will have to reset their tree to the previous
> commit and pull again

By the way, in general, a good solution for this problem is to make
trees publicly available somewhere before they are committed.  For
example:

[ffmpeg-devel] [REVIEW] My local tree

I'm going to push this in 1 day if nobody complains.  If someone
complains, I can fix bugs before they hit trunk.  Note that this
*isn't* a code review in the classical sense, it's a "bitch about
things now before it hits git" review.

Dark Shikari