[FFmpeg-devel] AC3 audio encoding license questions

Jeremy Greene jeremy
Sat Nov 13 00:20:02 CET 2010

Hi,

Not sure this is the correct list, but the question is: does anyone know
if the use of AC3 as defined in ATSC A52B(AC3) standard requires a
license as long as it's stated just that way (no use of the Dolby
trademark etc.)? It would seem that any patent relating to what's in the
standard would have expired by now. But I have done a ton of searching
and there's really no information that I can find. And asking dolby...
well...

We have spent a tremendous amount of time and energy trying to get
"dolby certified" and it's getting to be a losing proposition.

Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated!

Jeremy