[FFmpeg-devel] What demuxers are needed for these decoders

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Wed Nov 10 22:34:30 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 12:42 PM, phil hefferan <wdef200 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> My apologies if this is not the right list for my query. ?I am exploring
> shipping ffmpeg commercially in a product. The only codecs that will be
> enabled will either be those widely held to be patent unencumbered ( we
> assume for present purposes that these are) and those codecs for which we
> will purchase patent licensing and pay royalties from the usual patent
> pools. Only decoders will be enabled - no encoders. These will be:
>
> MP3
> H.264
> AAC
> MPEG4Part2
> Ogg Vorbis
> Ogg Theora
>
> Leaving aside distractions such as whether or not the usual licensors will
> license FFmpeg or not, my main question here concerns muxers and demuxers.
> By default FFmpeg has a large number of these enabled even when all codecs
> other than the above are disabled.
>
> What would be the minimum list of demuxers that need to be enabled in FFmpeg
> to support use of the above codecs for playing streams via gst-ffmpeg in
> Totem? ?My plan is first to disable all unneeded demuxers and muxers so we
> can then analyze potential patent issues on what remains.

I know of no muxer or demuxer with any supposed patent issues.

You need practically every demuxer enabled regardless, unless you're
going to tell your users "you can only use MP4, and not MKV" or
something silly like that.

Dark Shikari