[FFmpeg-devel] Format for fast extraction

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Wed Nov 3 01:28:37 CET 2010

On 11/02/2010 05:11 PM, Nicolas George wrote:
> Le tridi 13 brumaire, an CCXIX, Jean-Daniel Dupas a ?crit :
>> (4) Using MPEG-4 and external references instead of rewriting a format
>> from scratch.
>
> Could you give me more details about what kind of external references you
> are thinking about?

The data is not actually stored in the file, but in a different file.
The header index the data in different files.
MOV/MP4 can do that.

> As a side note, I needed a format that could store the packets as demuxed
> from the DVB recorder: MPEG-2 video, MP2 audio, DVB subtitles.

MOV can do that except the DVB subtitles, however I know that they
standardized the storage of transport streams in ISO media for settop
boxes mainly, so I guess there might be a way to store the subtitles as
well.

--
Baptiste COUDURIER