[FFmpeg-devel] vp8: decoder rewrite, spec cleanup

Maik Merten maikmerten
Sat May 29 12:44:35 CEST 2010

On 29.05.2010 03:48, John Koleszar wrote:
> I'm going to be starting a branch in our repo to handle changes to the
> bitstream as soon as possible. This is mostly trivial, but I want to
> set up an automated periodic merge from our master branch.

Is this bitstream work aiming at "current generation" VP8 (think minor,
but incompatible, bitstream revision - e.g. for consistent motion vector
clamping and loop-filter ordering suitable for parallel processing) or
is it aiming at "the next thing" (VP8.1 or VP8+ or VP9 or whatever)?

This mostly boils down to a "will current VP8 content be decodable with
future decoders" question. Somehow I got the impression from the mailing
list you are considering breaking the current bitstream before things
are really widespread and personally I think this may work out okay -
but you'd have to announce things really really soon. Then again the
current bitstream doesn't look fundamentally broken, so you might want
the next breakage to occur only with VP8.1 with additional efficiency
improvements.

Maik