[FFmpeg-devel] vp8: decoder rewrite, spec cleanup

John Koleszar jkoleszar
Fri May 28 19:47:38 CEST 2010

(cross post, please keep codec-devel at webmproject.org on cc)

Hi,

I know that there are people out there who have started rewriting the
vp8 decoder and others that are looking at the spec, and I wanted to
start thinking about how we could work together. We know both the spec
and the decoder need significant refactoring and rewriting. I also
know that the best way to get the spec into shape is to do a fresh
implementation. So here are my thoughts:

I want to get as much energy going on this upstream as possible. We're
going to be actively working on the decoder, and I'd love to see other
people get involved. Certainly some people will do private rewrites,
and having a second independent implementation is a good thing. Even
if you choose not to work with us on the code, please consider working
with us on the spec. Having a proper spec for this codec would help
everyone. It's going to be in our git repository RSN (Monday?) and
patches are certainly welcome. Or even just discussion on what's
lacking specifically -- just share your thoughts in some form while
they're fresh in your mind.

Also, if you have any other ideas on how we could work with the open
source video community, I'd love to hear them. The webm-discuss@ list
is a good place for these topics, technical topics should remain on
codec-devel at . We want to work with everybody and be good citizens, but
please bear with us; we're new to working in the open source
environment and it will take some time to come up to speed.

Thanks,

John