[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Avoid av_read_frame memory copy in implementation

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu May 27 21:52:40 CEST 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 08:18:08PM +0200, Cyril Russo wrote:

> Le 27/05/2010 18:37, Michael Niedermayer a ?crit :
>>

>>> AVPacket packet[10];
>>> foreach packet in array: av_read_frame(packet[i])
>>> [... later ...]
>>> avcodec_decode_[...](packet[i]) =>  corruption / crash in avcodec_decode
>>>
>>> And the documentation says so.

>>> Which demuxer use threads currently ?
>>>
>> the user application can use threads
>>
> I think I don't understand what you're saying.

> Currently, I'm using
> threads, and I have to copy packet because if I don't, it crashes while
> decoding.

ffplay uses threads, it does not always copy and it doesnt crash

> If I had my own allocate_packet function in the context, then I would
> probably allocate them in a thread's specific buffer.
> The default function could simply act like it does currently (we would keep
> the "returned packet is valid until next av_read_frame" part, but add
> "unless you provide your own allocate_packet function").

you dont seem to understand the problem at all or i dont understand you.

I have never wished to cater to the crowd; for what I know they do not
approve, and what they approve I do not know. -- Epicurus