[FFmpeg-devel] CBR Bitrate control in MPEG-2 video encoder

Sven Brandau wasisnlos
Wed May 26 21:22:18 CEST 2010

Am 25.05.2010 23:30, schrieb Michael Niedermayer:
> cbr (constant bitrate) does not mean constant framesize
> the bitrate that enters the vbv should be constant

And how are you measure the bitrate? In a very simple way you will take
the whole time of the video stream and calculate the bitrate from file
size. The only question is (beside the vbv constrains) how small is the
time unit in which the bitrate will be calculated. 1s? 30s? ...?

> and only a true mpeg2 stream analyzer can tell you the bitrate prior to
> the vbv. Your mail does not sound like you used such a tool

You are right, I don't have such a tool. Have you ever tried such a tool
on the ffmpeg MPEG-2 video encoder?