[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] rtpdec: Reordering RTP packets

Martin Storsjö martin
Wed May 19 11:05:41 CEST 2010

On Tue, 18 May 2010, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:

> On May 18, 2010, at 8:17 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>
> wrote:

> >> Yes, Ronald suggested something such, too. Although, I see that as a
> >> separate feature that can be added later, after the general
> >> reordering
> >> support within rtpdec...
> >
> > iam scared
> >
> > the user cares about 1 thing and that is delay, not packet number
> > which is
> > just a meaningless number, unfit to be constant by default
>
> Or size in bytes (more from a security/resource/admin point of view),

Usually, the RTP packets have a fixed max size, and as long as the max
queue size is capped by a fixed number of packets (in addition to a max
delay given in time), I don't see this as such a big threat from a
resource usage point of view. If the source sends huge packets, that will
force the whole pipeline to allocate more resources. The queue just uses a
bit more resources, scaling linearly with the increase in packet size.

> but yes I think I agree with Michael here. We should inplement both
> and nr of packets isn't terribly useful then...

Yes, a max delay would be useful. To implement it properly, it needs code
in two places, though:

Within rtpdec, which checks the timestamp range of packets in the queue,
before choosing whether to forcibly output the first one in the queue,
regardless of if we're waiting for a possibly dropped packet.

Within the rtsp demuxer. Say we receive a packet once a second, but have a
max reordering delay of 50 ms. If we miss one packet and receive the next
one, it will be kept within the reorder queue until the next received
packet (one second later), since the rtpdec code doesn't have a chance to
flush it from the queue until it gets called next time, when the next
packet is received. This would require additional code within
udp_read_packet, to call rtp_parse_packet with a NULL buffer to forcibly
get the first one from the queue if there is one, if we've been waiting
longer than (max reordering delay) for the next packet.

It gets even worse if we're receiving two streams, one which gets packets
very often, and another one that gets very seldom. Then we have to keep
track that we haven't gotten any packets on one stream for a while, trying
to flush packets from its reordering queue.

Does this sound necessary, or overly complicated? If this really is a
problem, the user at least should be able to disable the reordering,
either as a number of packets or as a delay in ms.

// Martin