[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] rtpdec: Reordering RTP packets

Martin Storsjö martin
Mon May 17 09:19:32 CEST 2010

On Mon, 17 May 2010, Luca Abeni wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> On 05/16/2010 09:41 PM, Martin Storsj? wrote:
> [...]
> > So, here's a more proper implementation of RTP packet reordering.
>
> Just a small suggestion: I think the queue size should be configurable
> (when I want to receive a stream with a very low latency, a lost packet
> is sometimes better than receiving the packet after some reordering
> delay).

That's a good idea. How should the user of libavformat convey this desire
to the rtpdec code? There's the AVFormatContext->max_delay parameter, but
real world time doesn't map directly into a certain number of packets.
One would have to make some kind of educated guess about the number of
packets per second, in order to map the max_delay parameter into a packet
queue length.

The code currently sets no_reorder = 1 for the TCP interleaved case, so
one could perhaps set no_reorder = 1 if max_delay == 0, too, but one would
perhaps want a bit more fine-grained control than that.

// Martin