[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] rtpdec: Reordering RTP packets

Martin Storsjö martin
Sun May 16 10:23:17 CEST 2010

On Sat, 15 May 2010, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:

> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Martin Storsj? <martin at martin.st> wrote:
> > Even if this isn't intentional, it may be beneficial for us to do a little
> > reordering of packets, if using UDP transport.
>
> Absolutely.
>
> I'll review the patch later, but this is a big FIXME (and has been for
> a long while), so this is very welcome.

This patch still is quite a hack, to test that this cured the problems
with that particular video. This one always buffers a fixed number of
packets before returning any data. Preferrably, we would buffer up as many
as needed, and if we suddenly have many consecutive packets, we would
return the ones that are in order without trying to receive any more
packets inbetween. That requires some new interface between rtpdec and
rtsp, though.

// Martin