[FFmpeg-devel] change installation directory for ffpresets

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun May 16 10:11:42 CEST 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 03:19:47AM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Reinhard Tartler <siretart at tauware.de> writes:
>
> > On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 22:01:52 (CEST), Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> >
> >> Presets are parsed and processed by ffmpeg the binary, shipping them
> >> with libavcodec looks a very bad idea (TM).
> >>
> >> Since presets files are processed by ffmpeg they need to depend on the
> >> ffmpeg version. For example we could decide to change the presets
> >> syntax, this would merely depend on the revnumber, and nothing on the
> >> library numbers.
> >
> > In practice, the preset syntax doesn't change. What does change is the
> > options and values it sets. Therefore in practice, the dependency of the
> > presets on the libavcodec package at least "feels" much stronger than on
> > FFmpeg.
>
> The presets cannot be processed by libavcodec and thus should not be
> that closely tied to it.

also, the presets can contain things for libavformat as well

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad
people will find a way around the laws. -- Plato