[FFmpeg-devel] Any suggestion about better handling edit list in mov demuxer.

Thierry Foucu tfoucu
Thu May 13 01:25:19 CEST 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>wrote:

> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 10:24:50AM +0200, elupus wrote:
> > >
> > >    - Adding a flag to AVPacket like DROP_AFTER_DECODER, in which case
> the
> > >    demuxer could mark which packet will be needed to be dropped after
> decoding,
> > >    and  av_read_frame will still return them to pass them to the
> decoder.
> >
> > This i think is the best aproach. It is something that can be used for
> > seeking aswell. (and matches very well what we already do in xbmc after
> > seeks).
>
> it will not work with audio as audio is simply not encoded with the
> same packet rate as video. There would be too much or missing audio.
> I thus think a solution that can handle sample accuracy and not just
> packet accuracy is needed

Agreed, that should the optimal solution. But are we not talking about a
maximum lipsync problem of 1 audio frame per chunk? which could be less than
1 video frame duration?

we are NOT doing already sample accuracy with the start_time option as it
use the pkt->pts >= start_time to check if we need to drop the packet.
So, adding a audio sample accuracy may involve to change how we treat the
audio and not use only the pts, is that correct?