[FFmpeg-devel] About avpicture_alloc (deprecate?)

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sun May 2 17:57:48 CEST 2010

On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 11:38:12AM -0400, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On May 2, 2010, at 11:23 AM, Reimar D?ffinger
> <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> >I wanted to hear about your ideas on avpicture_alloc, why is it
> >part of the
> >public API (is it?)? Should it be? Or should we deprecate it?
> >Internally, it seems only libschroedinger and qtrleenc.c use it,
> >which makes
> >it look quite likely that even those uses are outdated/suboptimal
> >or even wrong.
>
> It's for applications, so we can grow the struct w/o breaking
> API/ABI. There's no reason why we'd use it inside lavc.

I think you are confusing it with avcodec_alloc_frame.
Which is basically the reason I'd like to change it since I get
the suspicion a lot of people confuse the two.
Given the signature of
int avpicture_alloc(AVPicture *picture, enum PixelFormat pix_fmt, int width, int height)
it doesn't work at all for that purpose.