[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC Participation

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Sat Mar 27 16:20:01 CET 2010

Hi Naufal,

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:12 PM, Mohamed Naufal <naufal11 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am interested in the seeking api and floating point mpeg decoder
> gsoc tasks. I have completed the YOP playback system small task (not
> from scratch though) but Baptiste did say that this is not good enough
> for the former. I am willing to do any additional qualification tasks
> if required (Hopefully nothing too complicated ;) since I'm taking my
> exams now).

Right, so I was wondering about that qualification task already. For
float mp3 decoder, your best bet is to go on to IRC and talk directly
to Alex, who will mentor that task.

Now, don't take this personally, but let this be a reminder to all
GSoC prospective students to not confuse things:
- choose a GSoC project of interest;
- talk to the prospective mentor or find a mentor for the task;
- then, and only then, start working on the qualification task, which
you will choose together with your mentor.
Don't do this in any other order, because we want to make sure, using
this qualification task, that you and your mentor can effectively
communicate. If that fails, the GSoC project will almost certainly
fail as well.

(And we should repeat this to all students asking about qualification
tasks, and I'll update the wiki also: FIRST choose a GSoC project,
then find a/the mentor and talk/discuss, and only THEN choose and work
on your qualification task.)

Ronald