[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 0.6 status update

Reinhard Tartler siretart
Sat Mar 13 19:33:09 CET 2010

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 18:19:48 (CET), Stefano Sabatini wrote:

>> And more importantly, does anyone have good reasons
>> or pending patches to delay creating the branch for one week? In any
>> case, we will still accept/backport selected changes for another week,
>> but we need to know if trunk is currently a good basis for a new
>> release.
>
> There was the idea to include libavfilter integration in ffmpeg for
> the 0.6 release, that would IMO be a huge bonus so maybe it would be
> worth to wait some more time for having it.

I agree that this is really a very interesting development that should
be released.  However, we do releases mainly for (re)distributors in
order to build their applications against that. Do you expect other
downstreams to implement (and release!) useful stuff[tm] with
libavfilter in a timeframe of about about 12 months?

If not, then I'd suggest to defer that for 0.7, which is expected to be
released next year. Interested users and developers will fetch
libavfilter from svn anyway.

This is being said as someone who has never actually used libavfilter,
so my impression of it may be totally wrong. Please say if you disagree
here!

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4